The dried salted cod is one of the most consumed fish in Portugal, and it seems to be over 1,001 different recipes and methods for cooking this much-appreciated fish!
The cod is traditionally preserved dry and salty as has been so for over 500 years, since the time of discoveries, where no refrigeration methods existed.
Before being consumed, the dried salt cod must be soaked for 24 hours, and the water needs to be changed so that it does not get too salty when cooked.
Cod can be nowadays purchased frozen, and already soaked, ready to be served or fresh, however fresh cod has an entirely different flavour than traditional dry cod.
Bacalhau à Braz
- 400 g of potato chips
- 6 eggs
- 500 g soaked & shredded cod
- 2 onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 dl milk
- 0.5 dl of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Black olives
- Peel and wash the onions and cut the onions into thin half-moons.
- Peel and wash the garlic cloves and chop them finely.
- Beat eggs with milk.
- In a pan heat the olive oil and add the onions and garlic cloves.
- Let it cook until golden brown.
- Then add the cod and cook a little more until it looks cooked.
- Then add the potatoes, wrap and drizzle with the eggs.
- Let it cook, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and rectify seasonings.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and olives.
Enjoy the mild climate that is felt in the Algarve, during the fall and winter, and stay with us for a month or more at Muthu Clube Praia Da Oura overlooking the glazing sea and sunny beach, enjoy all the freedom of a holiday apartment with the services at the resort, Pool & Jaccuzi, entertainment and fitness activities, in addition to a varied buffet, combining great food and healthy eating.